Search Metzer Farms

July 07, 2011

Metzer Farms at Crossroads Poultry Show in October

I am going to the Crossroads Poultry Show in Indianapolis in late October.  This is one of the largest poultry shows in America.  I will not be exhibiting but rather I will have a booth to meet customers and poultry enthusiasts such as yourself.  I hope many of you take the time to visit this great show.

There will be visitors from around the world and exhibitors from every state in the nation.  If you want to see a wide variety of breeds and many quality exhibition birds, this is the show to attend.  This is the first time the APA (American Poultry Association) and ABA (American Bantam Association) will have a Joint National Meet since the last Crossroads Show in 2006.  There are also over 35 Breed Clubs that are having their National Show at this Crossroads Show.  There will be chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and guineas shown.  In addition, the Rabbit National Show will be during the same week in another facility on the fairgrounds.



Prior to the show I will make some more videos on ducks and geese and their management.  I already have two produced: How To Sex Day Old Ducklings and Goslings and Our Hatch Day.  I will be showing these videos at the show.  What other topics would you like covered in a video?  Now is the time to let me know so I can get them made!  Some possibilities are:

How to Sex Adult Ducks and Geese
How to Blow Eggs for Decorating
When and How Should I Help an Egg Hatch?
How to Candle Duck Eggs

What video would you like to see on waterfowl?



I also volunteered to give a presentation on a waterfowl topic.  As there are 25 meeting rooms at this conference facility, it will be easy to schedule and present a waterfowl topic.  What would you like to learn about ducks and geese?  Nutrition as they grow, treating diseases, handling injuries, housing needs, waterfowl flooring, techniques of hatching.....?  If there seems to be a topic of interest, I will schedule a presentation to share what I know and then encourage a sharing of knowledge from those in attendance.



The dates are Friday October 28 through Sunday October 30 and it will be at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis.  There will be a Junior and Open show.  You can mail your birds to the show and pick them up when you arrive.  For more information on the show, go to the Crossroads Poultry Club website.  This will be continually updated as more information is available.  There are also many informative articles on the show in the Poultry Press.  In addition, there are two Marriott Hotels and a Sheraton Hotel giving special rates to show attendees.... but book your rooms soon!

It seems like I am really pushing this show.  Well I guess I am - it is the best way to meet poultry enthusiasts such as yourself and the more that attend... the merrier!  See you in Indianapolis!

John Metzer

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a video on duck and goose nutrition. I thoroughly enjoyed the other videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutrition and rearing of waterfowl and the differences in each would be a great topic for a presentation. I am planning to be there for both the poultry and rabbit nationals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your comments. I will do some sort of presentation. Keep the suggestions coming in!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duck & Goose housing as we would like to raise ducks for egg production and are not sure just what kind of housing is feasible. We live in Wisconsin so the cold weather is a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just watched the sexing ducks video, thanks for a very clear and easy to understand demonstration!! Matt UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would appreciate a presentation on hatching geese. I know the show is over, but perhaps a future video?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I assume you mean a video on increasing the hatchability of goose eggs?
    It was a good show, I am composing a blog on it now.

    ReplyDelete